Declare Independence from….STUFF. (Or Why Simple Pleasures Matter Most)
By: Betsy Moore
Through the years, I have realized that being healthy is so much more than just the food we eat. Everything is connected. As a busy mama, life can be so chaotic. Sometimes it feels like a broken record. As soon as I get all the laundry done, the basket is full again. Sigh.
For me, I try to make the mundane tasks of life fun and memorable. Because, guess what, they aren’t going anywhere, right? Unless I win the lottery and can hire a personal assistant.
Health is finding a few quiet moments each day for you. It is enjoying your toddler dance around the kitchen while you wash dishes. It is re-connecting to an old friend that you haven’t talked to in years. It is living in the moment – each and every crazy second.
As I write this, my daughter is playing with her Dora the Explorer book that makes music. She smiles and dances. Such a simple, beautiful moment. I pause to really notice this moment. To remember it. Such innocence. Not a care in the world.
My homework for you today– this holiday — is to make a list. You can write it down on a napkin or in your journal or on the back of a take-out menu. It doesn’t matter. Its your Declaration of Independence from Stuff.
Take 5 minutes right now and explore the concept of enjoying the simple things in life. What are your top 10 simple pleasures?
My Top 10 Simple Pleasures At This Moment
- A chapter of Harry Potter – I try to read on the elliptical or treadmill most days
- Neti pot – this little thing has let me really breathe for the first time in years
- A love note from my husband – the other night he left a note on my pillow thanking me for all I do. Wow.
- Clean sheets – best sleep ever with crisp, clean sheets
- Dancing around the living room – I have zero dancing talent but Madilyn still thinks I am hysterical and it’s fun
- My daughter cracking up – Nothing is better in my book than a baby laughing at something so simple like our dog running around the living room
- Music – turning up the tunes while I clean the house. I don’t care if it is Hall & Oates or Justin Timberlake as long as it is loud.
- Clean bath tub – this is heaven for me especially when my husband cleans it for me
- Great conversation with my husband – LOVE when we get into deep talks
- Enjoying the moment – Not worrying about the future, stop stressing about the past. This one is a work in progress but those few moment where I am really in the moment feels so darn good.
What are your top 10 simple pleasures at this moment? If you want to share, we would love to see your list. Post as a comment below.
Enjoy your holiday!
Betsy J. Moore, BMoore Healthy Founder, Owner, & Health Coach. Betsy calls Washington, PA home. She stays healthy by eating lots of kale and jogging a few miles here and there. She can be reached at email@example.com and on her site www.bmoorehealthy.com